b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] noun sentence vs. qatal of HYH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] noun sentence vs. qatal of HYH
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 19:22:31 +0300

Bryan,

but what is wrong with the common idea that the difference resembles that
between phrases with verb and with dash? Perhaps the noun phrase implies
deictic center shift, the author's immersion in the events which he relates
as current.

Russian, again, provides perfect analogy to the Hebrew. In Russian, you can
say both,

the entire earth - desert
the entire earth was desert

Vadim Cherny