b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Meaning of prepositions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Meaning of prepositions
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:51:18 +0200

Most grammarians are of the opinion that Hebrew prepositions have widely
varying meanings. That opinion is convenient for exegetical translators. Is
it, however, true?

I submit that the idea of fluctuating meaning of prepositions often comes
from inaccurate translations.

Take, for example, bahar lanu. Preposition l, if anything, is directional,
thus dative. In the translation, he chose us, the omitted preposition is,
however, accusative.

The sense of bhr is, thrust in the direction. Directional preposition l
perfectly fits that sense. There are derivative meanings, to cut through,
divide, choose, and prefer.
The phrase bahar lanu should be perhaps translated, he was attracted to us.
Besides preserving the correct preposition, that translation better relates
the dynamic sense of the Hebrew phrase.

Shall we discuss some cases of the ostensibly non-standard or rather
non-etymological meaning of prepositions, and see whether such cases really
depend on inaccurate translation?

Vadim Cherny