b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:1-3, was: Alter's translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:1-3, was: Alter's translation
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:41:30 -0600

Dear Herman,

If you agree with that, I think ברא /bara/ doesn't have to be turnedinto an
infinitive like I thought you and some others would prefer itto be, to make
the subordinate-clause theory plausible (forgive me btwif I misunderstood
you).
Well, it's all beyond me actually, I first have to take a look at manymore
similar-looking lines in the MT.

HH: I don't see how that changes anything, since these other words also come along when it is an infinitive as in Gen 2:4.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard