b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:45:46 +0000

On 18/11/2005 00:08, Read, James C wrote:

I'm starting to see your point. 'Forever' certainly has that easy to
understand feel to it. And in English we tend to use always in a similar
way e.g.'You'll always be the same.'. Perhaps 'forever' would be a good
translation if accompanied by a disclaimer style footnote which explains
that this word may not always mean forever e.g. the levitical priesthood.

Thank you. But I would strongly object to such a footnote as it brings into the Hebrew Bible text not only the New Testament but a specific interpretation of it.

However, even the levitical priesthood lasts for ever in Christian thinking
as Jesus is viewed as its highpriest. So it is difficult to find even one
example with future reference that does not last forever.

I agree. Does anyone else still disagree?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)