b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:19:31 +0000

On 08/11/2005 16:05, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

There are no historical claims in the Bible that it was written
centuries before Ugarit. ...

Don't spoil your generally strong arguments with weak ones like this. There are claims in the Bible that Moses wrote down at least large parts of the Law just before his death. There is a specific claim in the Bible which dates the Exodus to 480 years before Solomon founded the Temple, and further claims in the Bible from the cumulative dating of the kings which would put the Exodus sometime in the 15th century BCE (if we accept the generally accepted dates for the neo-Babylonians). On any chronology the surviving Ugaritic texts were written some centuries later than this. So I think it is reasonable to say that there are claims in the Bible that significant parts of it were written down "centuries before Ugarit" - and Karl never claimed that this was true of more than some biblical Hebrew texts, i.e. parts of the Bible. Now you may wish to doubt the authenticity and accuracy of these claims, but that is a different matter from denying their existence.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)