b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:13:59 -0500

Kevin:

Assumptions are not data.

Scholarly reconstructions are based on assumptions,
therefore they too are not data.

In this case, the data are the 22 letters used by the
different languages. The question is how do we interpret
that data?

In the process of interpretation it is often necessary that
we make assumptions, but we need to keep clearly in
mind what we are doing.

I make the assumption, yes I know it is an assumption, that
alphabetic use at least attempts to write phonetically. The
writers may not get it perfectly, but at least there is the
attempt. If the spelling remains fluid as seen by variants in
spelling for the same word, even by the same author, yet
the alphabet remains constant over a long period of time,
that becomes evidence that the phonetic fit was pretty
close. If within a couple of generations the alphabet is
changed, that is evidence that a) the phonetic fit was poor,
b) the language was in flux and changed or c) both of the
above.

I mentioned before that when I took beginning Hebrew
class, we students conspired to write English sayings in
Hebrew letters for the professor to decipher when he
rushed in his normal five minutes late. We wrote
phonetically. Often it was impossible to indicate the
English sounds using the Hebrew alphabet, not even
when we used letter combinations. If instead of merely a
game for class, we were townsmen adapting the alphabet
for our daily records, it would take no more than a few
years, at most, for us to invent new letters to indicate
sounds not represented in the alphabet, drop the use
of letters indicating sounds not found in our language,
possibly to reposition some of the dropped letters for
phonemes in our language that were not in the originating
language and to use letter combinations where possible.
And this is what we find in the history of Greek when it
adopted the alphabet from the Phoenicians. Greek was
also a language in flux with many dialectal variants that
continued to be written through much of its history. We find
the same pattern with the English adoption of the Latin
alphabet, but there the phonetic fit was closer, yet letter
combinations were used for sounds not in Latin.

Karl W. Randolph.