b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:37:03 +1100 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

Neither the Japanese nor Korean systems were phonemic originally in that
they did not distinguish the voiceless/voiced distinction inherent in the
language. These were added later by using diacritics [like sin/shin], but I
have been told that their use is not necessary even today. Those who are
expert in Ugaritic say it is not phonetic, as certain sounds are represented
by more than one symbol and vice versa - or else earlier sounds have fallen
together in an entirely haphazard way and/or there were rapid sound changes
during the 200 or so years the script was used. Greek is more phonetic in
its later rather than ealier forms, as is Latin. That it took centuries for
these sytems to approach a phonemic system argues against your theory. The
data *is* there - you just a priori rule out most of it. Neither
transliterations nor cognate languages are as problematic as you want to
believe. They simply don't give the results you want.

Kevin Riley