b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 12:50:57 -0500

Dave:

Modern historians have made a consensus for the date of
the Babylonian capture of Judea and the start of the
Babylonian Exile. Starting with that date, going through
the king lists to the time the temple was built, then taking
490 years previous to the Exodus, renders a date in the
mid 15th century BC. It is mentioned that Moses wrote.
The language that has been preserved is Hebrew.

Not everyone believes those dates, but that's a different
question. There is no corroborating evidence either for or
against from other sources.

Onkelos is a known translation, with a known approximate
date of composition later than some if not all of the DSS
Biblical texts. If it is an accurate translation, it will give the
same dates as the original. To try to argue that because it
gives the same dates as the original that that is evidence
that it was composed at the times that those dates indicate
is as ridiculous as those KJV only Fundies. Further,
Yitzhak Sapir referenced in earlier posts to a tradition on
the same order as those KJV only Fundies concerning
Onkelos with the argument that I'm to consider it seriously.

Ridiculous!

I didn't answer the question earlier because I thought it so
transparently foolish.

Or do you think he meant something different?

Karl W. Randolph.