b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:34:28 -0500

Kevin:

When I was young, I visited the city of Génève on the
western tip of Lac Lemàn (spelling?). When I wrote my
parents, I mentioned that I visited Geneva (pronunciation
is definitely different). But when I returned to Germany
where I was living at the time, I told my neighbors that I
had visited Genf (yet another transliteration of the name,
again different from the original).

Or how about the capital of China: we used to call it
Peking which, as far as I can tell, was a mispronunciation
of the Cantonese Bak Ging (hard 'g'), but in Mandarin it is
called "Bay Jin". And the Chinese ship is called a 'suen' in
Cantonese, and I've been told it is a 'chuen' in Mandarin,
yet we call it a 'junk' (as in trash). Big difference.

I can multiply these examples many times over, but the
bottom line is that transliterations are untrustworthy. I don't
a priori rule out transliterations, I rule them as
untrustworthy because I have seen too many examples
like those above.

As for cognate languages, those that are close enough
that people can understand about 80% of what is said in
the other language, can still find examples of words that
have very different meanings in the different languages,
yet they sound the same. When the languages drift apart
enough so that one speaking one language no longer can
understand one speaking the other, even those using the
same alphabet can pronounce the letters differently,
words that sound the same can be written differently, e.g.
German "Haus" and "Boot" vs. English "house" and "boat",
words that sound so similar that they could be the same
often are not, e.g. German "Rat" vs. English "rat".
Phonemes found in one are non-existant in the other, e.g.
German ö and ü are not in English. Again I can multiply
examples like these many times over. Like transliterations
above, I find evidence from cognate languages as being
untrustworthy, and that from experience, not a priori.

If I can't trust transliterations and cognate language data
for modern languages, why should I trust such information
for Biblical Hebrew?

Karl W. Randolph.