b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:39:15 +0000

Karl,

I'm not sure why you seem to take it personally -- "proselytize me."
When Yigal and Chris were discussing the two phonemes you came
in and raised your claims as you often do:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2005-September/025849.html

And this is perfectly legitimate! But just as you can raise your own
eccentric theories every opportunity, so can others rebut your claims.
You may not be convinced until some special philosophical
condition is satisfied, even if it might even seem to me or others that
this condition has been contrived so that it never be satisified. This is
also perfectly legitimate. Rather, my purpose is not to "proselytize"
you, but only to sufficiently rebut your arguments any time you
present them, to the degree that I feel any questions you have indeed
raised have been sufficiently answered. (Sometimes I can't answer
them properly, and then I end up changing my mind about the issue!)
In the process, I seem to learn more about my own assumptions and
the data underlying them, which is also a good thing, in my opinion.

> I have already said what would convince me, and so far
> you have refused, absolutely refused, to provide it.

And just for the record, in various cases that you have listed
what would convince you, I have asked for clarifying questions
("Why is Onkelos not a valid example of 2nd Millenium
Aramaic?", "How would I know that some text in language X
is Ancient Hebrew and not a cognate language or vice versa?"),
but these have been left without response.

> Karl W. Randolph.
>
> Ps. that claimed transliteration from Isaiah 53:3 wasn't.

I didn't claim it was. I cited a portion of the Massorah which
I think is an example of how the Massoretes did remember the
Bible, and shows that they did not use context. At
http://www.aleppocodex.org/aleppocodex.html , you'll see this
text in the little print under the first column of the page containing
Isaiah 53:3. Perhaps you're using a Bible without the little
print.

Yitzhak Sapir