b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Prepositions and grammar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernathy AT isot.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Prepositions and grammar
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:40:01 +0300

It is not a matter of ignoring the preposition. It is a question of what
is necessary to commuicate the same idea in English.

Great. And how do you know the idea, if you ignore the grammar?

le indicates a change of state.

oh-oh. That is a kind of very remote. le is dative, pure and simple.

In English the prepositioin would be necessary if we were to say, "The man changed into a living soul." The preposition is not needed with the verb "became."

Well, now that is a circular assumption. You say, essentially, "if the verb is 'became' with no preposition, then the preposition is unnecessary in English."

The Hebrew text is there for everyone to see: would become or exist something in dative.

Shall we discuss any other examples of the Tanakh using le for an ablative? Are you able to bring forward any such examples?

Vadim Cherny