b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] prepositions and grammar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy AT isot.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] prepositions and grammar
  • Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 16:38:44 -0400

"Great. And how do you know the idea, if you ignore the grammar?"
You don't ignore the grammar. You have to understand the grammar of both languages.
"Became to a living soul" is not good English.
Become simply does not take a prepositional phrase as its object in English.
As for other examples,
Exodus 4:3, 7:10, 7:12 Moses' staff became (le) a serpent.
Deuteronomy 26:5 became a (le) great nation
Joshua 7:5 the heart of the people melted and became (le) water
Judges 1:33 became (le) tributary to them
Judges 8:27 it became (le) a snare to Gideon and to his family
Ruth 4:13 she became to him (le) a wife
2 Sam 8:2 the Moabites became (le) servants to David
Psalm 114:2 Judah became (le) a sanctuary to him
Isaiah 63:10 he changed himself to become (le) an enemy to them

Since you asked how I ignore the grammar, let me ask you, what grammars and lexicons are you using for Hebrew and English?
The definition I gave you for le is a standard definition found in Brown-Driver-Briggs.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy