b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] prepositions and grammar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] prepositions and grammar
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:29:08 +0300

Some languages use a dative in situations where others require the
accusative, and that's why we translate the literal "become to" as
"become" in English.

So, you suggest that Hebrew dative is consistently accusative in English? ('became a living soul' seems ablative to me)
Try to support this statement.
Or, is it a convenient ad hoc assumption?

Similarly, Russian (as you know) requires genitive after some
negation, but it would be a mistake to use the genitive in those
situation in English. (E.g., Russian "I don't have time" should
clearly NOT be "I don't have time's" in English.) Other examples
abound.

I don't follow. English is, "I have no time," also genitive.

Vadim Cherny