b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] prepositions and grammar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] prepositions and grammar
  • Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:49:55 +0500

On 05/10/2005 23:17, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

In case you didn't understand, let me try to be clearer. Hebrew needs
L after "become" for grammatical reasons. (And I'm pretty sure that
you know enough Hebrew to know that.) ...

Moreover, for the same grammatical reasons that Russian requires an instrumental case after "become" (стать). I'm pretty sure Vadim knows enough Russian to know that. In fact I think Hebrew L- often corresponds to this usage of the Russian instrumental indicating a resultant or temporary state.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)