b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:25:29 -0500

Yitzhak:

This is the last time I plan to respond to this thread. Unless
you can come up with new data that backs up your theory,
you have nothing but theory. I asked for Aramaic
documents from about 1800 BC, the best you could do is
a statue from a thousand years later, and even that one I
see as providing more support to how I think the Hebrew
language developed than your theory. You have à priori
ruled out the Hebrew data as being valid, and I based on
working with modern cognate languages discount your
cognate language data as being valid. It doesn't matter if
I study Ugaritic, Aramaic and Arabic until I'm blue in the
face, if I think your reliance on cognate languages is
wrong, no amount of cognate language data is going to
convince me.

Evidence from the history of European languages where
we have documented records, does not support your
model.

If you had come to me 20 years ago I would have believed
you. In fact, I did believe it then. That was back when I still
depended on the Masoretic points to read Tanakh. Since
then I have read Tanakh using unpointed Hebrew several
times, and it is the use of the unpointed text that led me to
question even BGD KPT, let alone your theory of merged
phonemes. What I need from you, knowing full well that
you cannot provide it, is a series of documents written in
Aramaic and Hebrew, dating from 2,000 BC or older to
about 800 BC, showing how the languages developed
and how the phonemes merged over that period of time.
Without in language data to back up your theory, your
theory is no more than speculation.