b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 03:51:46 -0500

Oy veh!

You asked for it.

I start with the theological position that God exists, that he
communicated with his creation, man, and that God
caused a record of his communication to be written down
in the volume we now call the Bible. Because God is not a
capricious individual, but is consistent in his word and
deed, the record that he caused to be written was exactly
as he wanted it to be, in its original autographs.

Today, all we have are copies of copies, which, because
of man's tendency to err, have copier errors. That's where
textual criticism has a role to determine, as closely as we
are able, which were the original readings and which
errors.

Just as in a modern computer, when one changes a
document that was originally written with Shelley Andante
font to Palatino, which looks very different but the
underlying coding remains unchanged, so when the DSS
copiers changed from archaic Hebrew font to square
Aramaic font, it did not change the underlying coding nor
meaning. The same 22 letters were used. That there is
evidence that Hebrew went through an earlier font change
is not evidence that there was an alphabet change
connected with it. There is no evidence of Biblical Hebrew
use of an alphabet with more than 22 letters.

When we look at the internal dating listed in the Bible, we
reckon that Moses wrote in the 15th century BC. He wrote
the Torah, all but possibly the final chapter. Because it
was not an issue in ancient times, there was no polemic
needed to assert this claim, hence none given.

This is not mere tradition, but conclusions based on a set
of philosophical presuppositions. It is this set of
philosophical presuppositions that is used to evaluate
various claims made by tradition, and finds many wanting.

What about Ugaritic? Depending on whose dating you
accept, the oldest texts were written one to three centuries
later, most texts three to five centuries later. That means
that Ugaritic had absolutely no influence in the original
development of Hebrew.

Aramaic? The oldest text listed was from six centuries
later. Again, no documented influence of Aramaic in the
development of Biblical Hebrew.

Like the two examples above, all your conjectures
concerning cognate language influence on Biblical
Hebrew is no more than "What if ...?" games. There is
historical evidence that Aramaic influenced post-Exilic
Hebrew, starting from stylistic clues from within Biblical
literature to the development of Mishnaic Hebrew, but
there is no proof of pre-Exilic influence.

Again, because of philosophic presuppositions which
value history over philosophic reconstruction, I'm not
satisfied with "What if ...?" games in the absence of
documentary evidence.

That does not mean that the study of cognate languages
is useless in the study of Biblical Hebrew, rather that such
studies have only very limited usefulness. Just because a
cognate language has a certain feature does not mean
that Hebrew ever had that feature, and that includes
phonemes.

>From your previous statements, I'd be very surprised if you
have the same set of philosophic presuppositions as
listed above. It is your different set of presuppositions that
makes you value cognate language study and diss the
Biblical record.

I believe that your repeated misrepresentations of my
position is based on a narrow set of religious beliefs that
you have, a fundamentalism that I and others do not
share.

Again, as I said in my last message, the above is not an
attempt to proselytize you, rather it is to show where we
differ, and that that difference is based first and foremost
on philosophical grounds. No amount of data is going to
change either mind as long as the philosophical
differences remain, which is why I have now twice
mentioned that we ought to stop this exchange. I am not
trying to shut you up, it is just that we need to bridge the
philosophical divide before the data has the same
meaning to the both of us.

Do you understand now?

Have a good trip.

Karl W. Randolph.