b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:13:15 -0500

Yitzhak:

I don't know why you are putting so much effort to trying to
convince me that your reading of language development
is correct, if not to validate to yourself because of your own
self doubts. I am not trying to convince you that mine is
correct, just claiming that the surviving data is too sparse
to say.

Take for example, when did Aramaic and Hebrew split? If
we take Biblical dates, that was when Jacob left his father-
in-law Laban at about 1800 BC, give or take a century. In
other words, from then to Biblical Aramaic, we have a
separation of about a thousand years, plenty of time for
extensive language shift in both Hebrew and Aramaic.

Further, when was the alphabet invented and used for
Semitic languages? The earliest examples I have seen
claimed in the literature is from about the same time
period. Alphabetic use could have been in existence for
centuries, or was new. Do we have indications from that
period as to how many letters it had at that time? How
many extensive writings from that period remain that are
recognizably Aramaic or Hebrew? Can we build a time
line from that period to the Biblical usage from that era? If
the answers to this paragraph are "Don't know" "Don't
know" "None" and "No", who has the hubris to claim to be
able to "prove" language development from that period?

Now assuming that ancient Hebrew, Aramaic and other
Semitic languages acted the same as do more modern
languages, we find even more reasons not to be able to
state categorically how ancient Aramaic and Hebrew
developed. Take just the example of Latin, a language for
which we have historical records: its spelling became
frozen so that even when pronunciation changes occurred
they did not show up in the written record until later, and
then as new spellings in Spanish, French, Italian and
other Romance languages. Yet even then, medieval to
modern pronunciation of Latin is more based on French
and Spanish pronunciation than the original Roman one.
In particular, the letter "c", which used to be consistently a
"k" sound, now is given a "s" pronunciation before "e" and
"i", though there are other examples as well. But when the
spelling is allowed to change, then letters tend not to
change their values, as when the German Stratte became
Strasse or the Greek thallattes became thallasses.

Again assuming that ancient Hebrew acted the same as
more modern languages, as languages first adopt an
alphabet, as long as the writings remain short on the order
of graffiti, an ill fitting match is often tolerated. But once
legal documents are written in the language, such as
business contracts or extensive religious texts, people will
either use a well attested other language (as did the
Chinese (whose legal language no one spoke before the
adoption of Mandarin as the legal language), medieval
Europeans Latin or the example you linked to of the early
Arabs using Aramaic) or to avoid confusion they adjust the
alphabet by subtracting and adding graphemes to match
the language. Therefore, unless you can prove that the
early Hebrews were using an ill fitting alphabet when
Moses wrote Torah in the 15th century BC, you cannot
rule out the historically attested to pattern from other
languages indicating that the 22 graphemes represented
the 22 consonantal lexemes recognized by the ancient
Hebrews.

One area where we take almost the opposite tacks is in
the use of cognate languages: I take the view that while
cognate languages can sometimes, in rare cases, clear
up something that is otherwise unclear in a language,
most of the time a study of cognate languages will add
nothing to the understanding of a language, many times
actually confuse the issue and/or give misleading
information, therefore the use of data from cognate
languages should be done with extreme caution; you,
OTOH, seem to take the position that if something is
attested to in a cognate language, it must also be found in
Biblical Hebrew as well, If we had native speakers to
interview, we could ignore the cognate languages entirely
as the cognates would be extra noise to filter out. The
main use I see for cognate languages is where
documents written in them explain concepts or lexemes
rarely used in Hebrew and where the use in Hebrew does
not indicate its meaning. Hence I tend to ignore the
cognate languages as irrelevant (most of the time), while
you consider their study indispensable.

Seeing as I have a major philosophic difference from you
as to the validity of cognate language study, unless I
changed my philosophy, even an extensive study of the
materials you insist on will not change my mind. The only
thing that will make me accept your theory is for you to
produce extensive alphabetic documents dating from
about the time of Jacob and Laban, showing the
development of the alphabet as well as both Aramaic and
Hebrew from then to Moses, Since you, by your own
admission, start with the DSS,.......