b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin and Ghayin
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:10:38 +0100

On 21/09/2005 21:13, Karl Randolph wrote:

Yitzhak:

I don't know why you are putting so much effort to trying to convince me that your reading of language development is correct, if not to validate to yourself because of your own self doubts. I am not trying to convince you that mine is correct, just claiming that the surviving data is too sparse to say.

Take for example, when did Aramaic and Hebrew split? If we take Biblical dates, that was when Jacob left his father-
in-law Laban at about 1800 BC, give or take a century. ...

Where do you get that date from? What observable and repeatable phenomena are you relying on? And don't say the Bible, because that gives no absolute dates, everything is relative to neo-Babylonian and Persian dates based on eclipse records.

... when Moses wrote Torah in the 15th century BC, ...

And where did this one come from?

Seeing as I have a major philosophic difference from you as to the validity of cognate language study, unless I changed my philosophy, even an extensive study of the materials you insist on will not change my mind. ...

Your major philosophical difference from Yitzhak and for that matter from almost the whole world is that you have adopted a philosophy which doesn't allow you to know anything at all about the past. You are wasting your time reading the Bible because you cannot know that it wasn't written yesterday.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)