b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tenses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tenses
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:00:39 +0100

On 23/09/2005 16:16, Vadim Cherny wrote:

You lecture me on the etymology of my language?

Yep. Let me remind you that recently you rejected usage of "would" for future, and I provided you several examples of just such use, e.g., in polite or uncertain speech.

And I told you that these are not examples of future - although I agree that "would" is used as a past form of "will" in reported speech about the future.

"in reported speech about future". That sounds like a future tense to me.

Yes, I accept that this use of "would" is future. None of the others are.

"Would" is used instead of "will" to indicate extra politeness and less than certainty, isn't it?

No, usually "would like to" or similar is used instead of "will".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)