b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Raamses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Raamses
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:34:28 +0100

Dear Yitzhak,

You made many valid points here. I am sorry if I have misrepresented you with
this post. I enjoy your contributions to the debates.
One thing I will say though (as Peter has) is that if you are going to open
the
'can of worms', be prepared to defend your position (as you have done).

Yigal's reasoning on the 480 year period could be a valid one if it weren't
for
the fact that it didn't take into account a very important factor. The real
architect
of both the exodus and the temple was Yah himself, and so his purposing a 12
* 40
year interval may have some significance. The number forty is often used as a
period
of tribulation (e.g. the hebrews wandered 40 years instead of 40 days). Moses
fasted
for 40 days etc. The 12 * 40 years could have symbolised a payment of 40
years paid to
Yah for the error of each tribe (I don't know. I'm just hypothesising).
Anyway, what is important to remember is the period was 480 years because Yah
purposed
it to be such not because some author thought it was a nice round number.