b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Raamses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Raamses
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:06:36 +0100

On 22/09/2005 21:30, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

We have an absurd situation whereby Biblical scholars date Solomon to the late
10th century based on Shoshenq's campaign and Egyptologists date Shoshenq
based on Solomon's date. ...

Thank you for this. Well, the situation only becomes absurd when the biblical scholars reject the data on which this agreed date depends but don't reject the date. They may try to fool themselves that they are using an Egyptological date, but in fact they are using one derived from the biblical data, a framework into which the small amount of Egyptological data has been speculatively fitted together to fit. If the framework is sound, the speculative fit may be correct. If the framework is removed, the speculative fit collapses completely and we are left with almost nothing to go on for the dating of Shoshenq.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)