b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Raamses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Raamses
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 03:32:08 +0000

On 9/18/05, Peter Kirk wrote:

> Indeed to the last point. But in fact your argument is back to front. It
> was the dating of Solomon which came first, e.g. from Ussher and as more
> recently refined e.g. by Thiele. And then Shoshenk I of Egypt was dated
> from the synchronism with Solomon, on the dubious assumption that he is
> the "Shishak" of 1 Kings 14:25. There is little good evidence from Egypt
> for the date of Shoshenk I, and what there is is hard to reconcile with
> the mid 10th century.

I was afraid of this... I cannot but point you to Kitchen's article at -
http://www.rhodes.aegean.gr/maa_journal/docs/volume2%20No2%20Dec2002/Kitchen%20paper.pdf
[Kitchen, Kenneth A., "Ancient Egyptian Chronology for Aegeanists",
Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry 2.2 (2002)]

In this article, he:
1) mentions Galil's work as an independent and different system than Thiele.
Thiele's analysis was important, but it's not the only way to analyze the
data, and not the only "solution."
2) independently works out in p. 8 that Shoshenq I lived between 945-939 BCE
through 924-918 BCE, in order to prove, independent of the Bible, that
Shoshenq
I and Shishak of the Bible were contemporaries, as far as the Bible is
concerned.
That it works out with the Bible is nice, but it's not necessary for
any Egyptologist.
3) "Shishak" of 1 Kings is actually "$w$q" in the Ktiv and if one considers
that
his successor several generations later is spelled out in Akkadian as
"shushinqu"
one gets that "$$nq" of Egypt, "$u$inqu" of Akkadian, and "$w$q" of Hebrew
make
a best fit at $o$enqu or $o$inqu, where the n drops in Hebrew as it
does in other
examples. See Kitchen's comments in the above, p. 7.

Generally, if you wish to continue arguing this I would suggest taking it up
on
the ANE list or the Egyptology list. There is simply no sufficiently
qualified
experts on this list to answer questions of this sort. There is much
misinformation on these issues and these discussions seem to wind on with
no end unfortunately, but at least, it doesn't have to wind on with no
end on this
list.

Yitzhak Sapir