b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Raamses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Raamses
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:36:25 +0100

On 18/09/2005 15:11, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

As for your chronology, usually Solomon is dated to the mid 10th century
based on synchronism with Shoshenq's attack 5 years after his reign. It
is also possible to count the reigns of the kings from Solomon onwards.
But this is not the place to get into chronological issues.

Indeed to the last point. But in fact your argument is back to front. It was the dating of Solomon which came first, e.g. from Ussher and as more recently refined e.g. by Thiele. And then Shoshenk I of Egypt was dated from the synchronism with Solomon, on the dubious assumption that he is the "Shishak" of 1 Kings 14:25. There is little good evidence from Egypt for the date of Shoshenk I, and what there is is hard to reconcile with the mid 10th century.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)