b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Did Clement of Alexandria write YHWH = Iaou?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Did Clement of Alexandria write YHWH = Iaou?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:27:22 +0100

On 11/09/2005 12:45, kgraham0938 AT comcast.net wrote:

If you look in HALOT it says ....

"by the transcription IAOUAI/E in Clement of Alexandria Stromata 5:6." p395
--
Kelton Graham KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net

Dave hasn't made his point entirely clear, but from what he wrote to me off list it seems that the form in the only surviving (and not very reliable) manuscript of Clement's Stromata is actually IAOU. The form IAOUE is perhaps only a 19th century conjectural emendation of IAOU - although apparently one accepted by HALOT. Smith's (1863 - see Dave's URL) refers to the form IAOUE "in a catena to the Pentateuch in a MS. at Turin", but I know that Dave has been unable to find any more information about this MS - perhaps a Latin translation? So this looks like another case where dubious 19th century scholarship has been accepted without question by later scholars.

I'm not sure where IAOUAI comes from.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)