b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:01:53 -0500

Peter:

First, you have experienced the understanding of foreign
language lexemes that it is not uncommon for words in
another language to fall between English terms, sometimes
sounding more like one term in English, sometimes more like
another. So while translations of the term may be diverse
in English, within the language itself the meaning is
consistant and usually rather compact.

One such lexeme is the WAW prefix. I understand it as
signifying a continuation of that which goes on before
(though in cases such as Jonah 1:1 what was it that went
on before?). Usually it can be translated as "and". But
sometimes that "and" is rather strong, where the following
is the consequence of what precedes it and the English word
"that" makes a better translation, as in Isaiah 53:2. I
have noticed other verses in my readings where the WAW has
that stronger meaning, but I don't remember their addresses
off the top of my head. (An example in English, "He so
hurried that he ran..." would have a WAW in Hebrew for the
"that".) By allowing for the "stronger" use of WAW in
Leviticus 20:17 preceding the NKRTW a reading of the verse
will not force us into a unique meaning for XSD rather the
XSD HW) WNKRTW L(YNY BNY (MM is the complete phrase.

XSD is another lexeme in Hebrew with no equivelant in
English. And just as I told Harold Holmyard concerning
X+)T having a broader "secular" meaning than its most
common theological application, so we should not leave
out the possibility that XSD also has a broader "secular"
meaning than found in its theological uses. And in its
"secular" uses could have somewhat a negative flavor
while still preserving its basic meaning of "undeserved
good favor".

As for lexemes having diverse meanings, while I don't rule
that out, after studying a few foreign languages I have
found that lexemes having diverse meanings are quite rare.
That is not the same as recognizing that a lexeme may have
such a broad meaning that it can be translated by several
lexemes in another language, nor is it a claim that all
lexemes have narrowly defined boundaries in meaning,
rather a recognition that it is rare for a lexeme to have
both one meaning and its near opposite, or even a
completely unrelated one. Biblical Hebrew is no exception.
(This is one area where I, as a lexicographer, disagree
with Reinier de Blois and his lexicon according to
semantic domains.)

Karl W. Randolph.