b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bearpecs AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:19:13 EDT

I would add to Karl's "basic meaning as a verb as 'to treat with (often
undeserved) good favor'" that XSD is always granted by someone with
comparative advantage over the recipient. I'd also define "underserved"
favor more
specifically as favor "which the recipient cannot justifiably hold as an
expectation".

Finally, I wish to contadict the theory that XSD implies a "covenantal"
relationship between the grantor and the recipient. I believe that is a
theological interpretation without linguistic justification. Of course
there is a
relationship between the two people involved, only because one generally is
not
in a position to grant a favor to someone with whom one has no relationship,
but it does not need to be "covenantal".

I think an excellent example of the "comparative advantage" aspect of XSD is
found in Ruth, where Boaz can grant XSD when he is considered at advantage
over Ruth in terms of wealth and power, but Ruth can grant XSD when she is
considered at advantage over Boaz in terms of youth and looks.

Hayyim Obadyah
, MPA
New York, New York 10027