b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:22:09 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)

The main problem facing researchers in many areas is the sheer volume of
data available. Somewhere out there there are probably a few papers that,
while not having 'the' answer, do hold the key/s to solving this problem.
The question is whether anyone will read the papers needed to find the
answer. I once thought research would be filled mainly with exciting
discoveries - I now know that mostly you spend your time looking for
information and being disappointed becasue 90% of it doesn't answer the
question you are researching. It is great when you find something that
really helps, especially if it is in an out-of-the-way place where you didn
t expect to find anything, but that doesn't happen every day. Do we have
anyone today with the encyclopedic knowledge of Hebrew and related languages
that was once possible? I suspect it is no longer possible to know even
most of what is available in the academic field of Semitic languages because
it is simply too broad.

Kevin Riley