b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:36:30 -0500

Dear Karl,

In Leviticus 20:17 is the XSD connected with the incest or
the punishment? If with the incest then yes, it refers to a
negative, but if with the punishment, then it is undeserved
good favor to banish them when they deserve death.

In Proverbs 14:34 I understand as "Justice exults a nation,
but undeserved good favor of peoples errs." The root meaning
of X+) is to miss the mark, to err from which the theological
meaning of sin is a derivative. (The New Testament use of
hAMARTIA is a parallel to this use, a direct copy of Hebrew
usage.) This is one of the cases where I think translating
using the theological understanding errs.

Hh: The problem with this translation is that XSD is a masculine noun and the form X+)T is also a noun. But even if X+)T were viewed as some strange verb form, it would have to be feminine and so would not agree with the masculine subject. Karl, you need to accept the findings of regular lexicons on such basic topics where there is widespread agreement. Peter is right that there is a second meaning for XSD and your denial of this fact drives you into strange interpretations. Here is the HAL information on the second meaning of XSD:

I h‡esed‰: I h‡sd‰: JArm. h‡isd‰a¦}, Syr. h‡es/zda¦, CPArm. (only pl.) h‡sdyn, Mnd. h‡yzd‰} (MdD 142a, Brockelmann Syr. Gramm §49); Arm. lw. Wagner 105: -1. shame Lv 2017 Pr 1434; -2. abuse Sir 4122 (Marg.) = Sir, h‡sd‰ym 1QM iii 6 (alt. II). Ý

HH: The noun is related to a verb:

I h‡sd‰: MHb. pi., JArm. pa., JArm. qal: to be ashamed, Sam. (Ben-H. 2:464) and Syr. CPArm. Mnd. (MdD 151a) slander; Arb. h‡asada and Tigr. Wb. 74b h‡asda to envy; MHb. h‡sûd‰ cast suspicion upon; ? Arm. lw. Wagner 105-6 :: II h‡sd‰, II h‡esed‰, Schulthess Homonyme 31f (:: Nöldeke Neue Beitr. 93).
pi: impf. y§h‡ased‰k‰a¦: to bring shame Pr 2510 Sir 142 (cj. h‡sd‰t×w Smend :: Dahood, Greg. 43:71). Ý
Der. I h‡esed‰.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Karl W. Randolph.