b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 02:43:02 +0200

The "regulations" all appear in rabbinic literature, written, at the
earliest, in the second century CE. By then, we can assume, the Torah was
written (at least in some circles) on a single scroll like it is today, and
the tradition of Mosaic authorship of the whole Torah was firmly established
(in fact, it is assumed by Josephus and Philo).

Yigal