b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 01:21:06 +0200

This may have already been mentioned, but all of the modern theories about
the composition of the Pentateuch assume that large chunks of all four books
(except Deuteronomy) were composed, redacted and edited by the various
authors we now call J, E, P etc., and that D was included into this process
at some time. Especially P seems to stretch across all five (or four) books.
So we are obviously not speaking of 5 books which were written by different
people at different times. On the other hand, the division is not
"artificial" or "arbitrary". It would seem, that whoever finally pulled
together the various "sources" conceived of each book as a separate
composition, tied together as a single "series". Whether they were written
on a single long scroll or on five separate ones seems to be a rather moot
question.

Yigal