b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:04:47 -0400

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

First, I think it is anachronistic to use the term Judaism as applied to
Samaritans, and perhaps even to Qumran.

Fair enough. "Judaisms" then.

But beyond that, is there any evidence for more than one method of
division?

well yes there is. unless we suppose that the author of genesis is also the author of exodus is also the author of leviticus and that he wrote them all out on one scroll and that example was followed from that time onward. these books were, at some point, just single books or fragments of books, correct? or are you suggesting that they were written in huge multi book chunks? even given the length of the deuteronomistic history (a multi volume "work", if you will) it is so extensive that no one can suppose, can they, that it was originally a one scroll composition.

Only the 3-fold method in Qumran and the 5 fold method
known from Qumran, modern Jewish tradition, as well as the
Septuagint.

positing ancient reality from fragmentary examples and modern practice seems a bit hazardous. what we need is hard evidence.

I have also received the following in reference to your mention of Tov's book and the "five scrolls" from Carla Sulzbach: "I checked my copy, and indeed, on p. 4 he speaks of Five Megillot. However, that is in a section on the order of the books in the "Hagiographa", the Ketuvim, and ... he does not refer to Torah scrolls, five or any other number, but to Shir ha-Shirim, Ruth, Eicha, etc." I don't know. In the Hebrew edition, he doesn't seem to discuss methods of order of the books at all, at least not where I could see it, so perhaps it is an addition in the English version.

Well whoever added it didnt do a very good job of being clear.

best

jim

--
Jim West, ThD