b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:45:47 +0300

On 8/22/05, Ken Penner wrote:

> Second, by far most of the Dead Sea Scrolls containing parts of the Torah
> attest only *one* of the five books per scroll. There are a few exceptions,
> where parts of two books come from the same scroll.

I was wondering how many of those attest only part of the book, say a set
of one or two chapters, or some other portion thereof. In cases like this,
it would be wrong to assume that because it contained, say, chapters 23-
24 of Leviticus it is necessarily only a Leviticus scroll and not a
Torah scroll.
In cases where there is a pretty representative sample from all portions of
the Biblical book, even if its only fragments or a couple of verses from every
few chapters, I would be more convinced it was a single book scroll and
not a Torah scroll. I was considering looking it up sometime in the library.

Yitzhak Sapir