b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 01:04:51 +0100

On 21/08/2005 00:21, Yigal Levin wrote:

This may have already been mentioned, but all of the modern theories about
the composition of the Pentateuch assume that large chunks of all four books
(except Deuteronomy) were composed, redacted and edited by the various
authors we now call J, E, P etc., and that D was included into this process
at some time. ...

No, Yigal, not all modern theories hold that the Pentateuch was composed in this very specific way. Quite apart from those who believe that it was all, or almost all, written by Moses, there are those who accept a variety of sources but do not accept the existence of "the various authors we now call J, E, P etc.", and especially do not accept your apparent assumption that each of these is one individual author.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)