b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:43:19 -0400

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
the Samaritan practice,

the DSS, there are scrolls of
Genesis-Exodus and Leviticus-Numbers, which again suggests that originally
there
was just one scroll, and then it was split into three (Genesis-Exodus,
Leviticus-
Numbers, Deuteronomy) and then each of the first two was further
divided, all for
apparently convenience reasons.

What strikes me as interesting here is that the possibility exists, doesn't it, that practice amongst various strands of Judaism may have collected scrolls differently?

Lets suppose that the folk at Qumran used one method, while the folks in Jerusalem used another and the guys in Samaria still another. Judaism wasn't, and has never been, and is not now, a monolith.

Is this at least a possibility? Or are we to assume that all Jews everywhere did exactly the same thing?

Best

Jim

--
D. Jim West

"Ob man glychwol den pregenden haben muß, so macht der doch das hertz nit gleubig; der geist und wort gottes thund das"-- Huldrych Zwingli