b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What happened to Jesus' haftarah ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What happened to Jesus' haftarah ?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:11:57 -0500

Dear Yigal,

An intersting item off Agade:

>From <http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/611676.html>
===============================

What happened to Jesus' haftarah?
By Hananel Mack

HH: Thanks for the article. One question that came to me as I read was how much of the Tanakh is not included in the haftarah readings. It seems I noticed once that there was quite a lot of Scripture that was not included in the regular annual reading cycle. Now that may not include all the readings that Mr. Mack mentions, including the three-year reading cycle, the holidays, fast days, and "special sabbaths", as well as the variant traditions. But the significance of particular omissions of biblical material varies according to how much material overall is left out of the haftarahs.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard