b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What happened to Jesus' haftarah ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What happened to Jesus' haftarah ?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:08:03 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Awohili AT aol.com
To: leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il ; b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 10:44 PM

Thanks, that is very interesting indeed. As to the question as to who
opened Isaiah 61 for Jesus' reading in the synagogue, Luke 4:14, 17 indicates
that it was Jesus himself:

And then proceeded to interpret it as referring to himself, which almost
got him thrown off a cliff.

Yigal
>From hholmyard AT ont.com Sat Aug 13 17:23:07 2005
> Thanks, that is very interesting indeed. As
>to the question as to who opened Isaiah 61 for
>Jesus' reading in the synagogue, Luke 4:14, 17
>indicates that it was Jesus himself:
>
> And then proceeded to interpret it as
>referring to himself, which almost got him
>thrown off a cliff.

HH: Actually, it wasn't interpretation of the
passage as regarding himself that got him into
trouble, although it did raise a question about
his identity given his humble background as a
carpenter's son:

Luke 4:22 ¶ All spoke well of him and were amazed
at the gracious words that came from his lips.
"Isn't this Joseph's son?" they asked.

HH: What got him into trouble was his
characterization of his hometown and nation as
sinful:

Luke 4:23 ¶ Jesus said to them, "Surely you will
quote this proverb to me: 'Physician, heal
yourself! Do here in your hometown what we have
heard that you did in Capernaum.'"
Luke 4:24 ¶ "I tell you the truth," he
continued, "no prophet is accepted in his
hometown.
Luke 4:25 I assure you that there were many
widows in Israel in Elijah's time, when the sky
was shut for three and a half years and there was
a severe famine throughout the land.
Luke 4:26 Yet Elijah was not sent to any of them,
but to a widow in Zarephath in the region of
Sidon.
Luke 4:27 And there were many in Israel with
leprosy in the time of Elisha the prophet, yet
not one of them was cleansed - only Naaman the
Syrian."
Luke 4:28 ¶ All the people in the synagogue were furious when they heard this.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard