b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What happened to Jesus' haftarah ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What happened to Jesus' haftarah ?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:50:07 -0500

We are making assumptions based on "modern" practices. Did
Jesus in this example follow a set pattern of Torah/Haftorah
readings, or did he choose to read something different, and
expound on his chosen text? We are not told. And from others'
discussion on this subject, it appears that a universal list
of readings was not drawn up until later, though there was a
practice of reading Torah and Prophets.

Karl W. Randolph.