b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What happened to Jesus' haftarah ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What happened to Jesus' haftarah ?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:20:45 +0200

This is certainly true, and I never said otherwise. The "set" readings from
the prophets were probably only regularized much later, but there could very
well have been a more-or-less established local practice. As for the reading
of the Torah, it very probably did follow some cycle, although we have no
idea which one. As the article stated, the earliest attested custom in the
Land of Israel was reading in a roughly triannual cycle.

The later midrash, by the way, attributes the weekly Sabbath reading of the
Torah to Moses, and the lesser readings of a small part of the following
Sabbath's portion on the preceeding Sabbath afternoon and Monday and
Thursday mornings to Ezra.

Yigal