b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What happened to Jesus' haftarah ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What happened to Jesus' haftarah ?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:01:13 +0200

Well, to start with, the haftarot, by definition, only include selctions
from the prophets, not the writings. The Torah, or Pentateuch, is read in a
yearly cycle. Of the writings, the "five scrolls" are read on holidays -
Esther on Purim, Lamentations on the ninth of Av (which is tonight), Ruth on
Savu'ot (Weeks/Pentecost), the Song of Songs on Passover and Ecclesiastes on
Sukkoth, although the last three are fairly late customs and are not
universal. The Psalms are very popular in Jewish liturgy, worked into the
prayers and read by many people in a weekly or monthly cycle, although not
"publically" like the Torah or the haftarot are. On the other hand, Job,
Daniel, Proverbs, Ezra-Nehemiah and Chronicles, except for a few very select
passages, are not included in any liturgical readings.

Yigal