b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:02:09 +0100

On 05/08/2005 14:30, Read, James C wrote:

I disagree here. While, you can be conclusive that the subject is different
if the gender is different, you cannot be equally conclusive just because the
gender is the same.

Well, can you tell me any clear examples where the subject changes but is not signalled in any way - except by a theological inference from something which happens 11 verses later? Your translation is justified only by theology, not by what the text actually says.

This is not the only case in scripture where the agent is ambiguous and it is
clear that the chronicler, whose hebrew was better than ours, did not understand
the agent to be Yah's anger but 'an adversary' or Satan himself.
Your interpretation of the verse does not make sense.

Yah got angry because David obeyed him?????

No, YHWH was angry and so told David to do this. I won't try to explain this because that is to bring in theology. But the theological problem arises only in v.12.

The chronicler, evidently, was not led to understand such a thing and so his
version of events clears the ambiguity by making the agent of the second clause
explicit.

The Chronicler made multiple changes to this text, many theologically motivated - if 2 Samuel 24 was his source at all.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)