b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:24:47 +0100

On 05/08/2005 05:14, Heard, Christopher wrote:

Karl,

So are you suggesting that in a construction with SWT ... L)MR + imperative ..., the speaker who is the subject of the verb SWT doesn't really want the addressee to do what is specified in the imperative mood? I have a hard time seeing that, but I've hardly done an exhaustive study of SWT in other passages.

SWT is elsewhere followed by L'MR introducing the words of incitement elsewhere only in 2 Kings 18:32 = Isaiah 36:18 and Deut 13:7 (English 13:6), as far as I can find.

There is a semantic parallel in 1 Kings 22:20-22 where YHWH sends a lying spirit to entice (PTH) Ahab by lying to him. Also Genesis 22:2, although without SWT or similar, where God tells Abraham to do something, sacrifice his son, although in fact God did not want him to go through with it.

Christians might also consider the parallel in John 6:6.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)