b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:14:05 +0100

Yitzhak wrote:
Note that the term "Chronicler" is
generally reserved
for the author of Chronicles (for obvious reasons).
END QUOTE

And who did you think I was talking about?

Yitzhak also wrote:
You might be confused because your translation mistakenly has "when
one incited"
END QUOTE

Yes. The translation is pragmatic and probably largely influenced by the
larger context of the situation which the 'chronicler' throws more light
on.
However, linguistically, there is no conclusive evidence that the subject
of the verb is Yah's anger. This is only one interpretation, which is
logically
inferred by the presence of an explicit subject in the first clause.
However, this interpretation is largely influenced by our modern
understanding
and usage of language and does not take into account the finer points of
ancient
expression which we are not in a position to be experts on.
The chronicler, however, was in such a position and clearly did not
understand
Yah's anger to be the subject of the verb.
However, he does acknowledge the ambiguity and clears up this ambiguity by
making
the subject explicit to us.