b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stone slab replacing the Ark of the Covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Segall <segall AT umich.edu>
  • To: Alexander Oldernes <alexander AT oldernes.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stone slab replacing the Ark of the Covenant
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 15:21:42 -0400 (EDT)

What happened to the Ark of the Covenant? After the death of King Solomon his son Rehoboam became king. The 10 northern tribes revolted against Rehoboam and formed their own separate kingdom. Rehoboam's troops refused to fight against their fellow Israelites, so Rehoboam was left with a small fraction of the population and a fraction of the land of Solomon's original kingdom.

This was a tempting target for the king of Egypt who attacked and overran the truncated Kingdom of Judah. To prevent a siege of Jerusalem, Rehoboam agreed to let the Egyptians loot Jerusalem and leave without a fight. This Egyptian victory was commemorated on a temple wall at Karnak. The wall carving shows Egyptian soldiers carrying away the Ark of the Covenant.

While some may argue that just because the ark being taken away by the Egyptians exactly matches the Ark described in the Torah, it might just be a chest with carrying rails. This is highly unlikely, since the magnitude of the Egyptian victory could best be demonstrated by showing that they were carrying off the Judeans most prize possession. It is like saying that the menorah being carried away by Roman soldiers on the arch of Titus could have been any menorah and not the one from the Second Temple.

Rehoboam and the Temple priests tried to hide the loss of the Ark from the population, since admitting the Egyptians had taken the Ark was tantamount to admitting that God had abandoned the Kingdom of Judah. The secret could be kept for generations since only the Hign Priest was allowed to enter the Holy of Holies in the Temple.

The phrase in the Book of Kings about Josiah ordering the Levites to return the Ark of the Covenant to the Temple appears to be an embellishment to the story of the Passover celebration ordered by Josiah, since no action was taken to execute this command.