b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stone slab replacing the Ark of the Covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Stephen Segall <segall AT umich.edu>
  • Cc: 'b-hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stone slab replacing the Ark of the Covenant
  • Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:40:43 +0100

On 03/08/2005 00:56, Stephen Segall wrote:

This is not an image of the wall carving at Karnak depicting the Egyptian victory over the Kingdom of Judah.

Which images are you looking for?

Those of Shoshenk I's invasion of Israel, on the Bubastite Portal at Karnak, which is normally identified as in the time of Rehoboam? I have a picture of this, in chapter 5 of David Rohl's book "A Test of Time" (= "Pharaohs and Kings"), but there is no image of the Ark and indeed nothing about Jerusalem.

Or those of Ramesses II's invasion, on the Ashkelon Wall at Karnak? This is normally dated long before Solomon's time, but David Rohl and others identify this as the invasion in Rehoboam's time. There are pictures of this also in chapter 7 of Rohl's book, but nothing that looks like the Ark. These pictures are not exhaustive, but I can find no claims that the Ark is pictured there.

Or those of an invasion of Thutmose III, also at Karnak? The infamous Velikovsky considered that Thutmose raided the temple in Jerusalem, but everyone except Velikovsky dates this to long before Solomon. See http://www.hshideaway.com/chap15.htm, which has links to a photo and a drawing of the loot. But I note that Velikovsky does not claim that the Ark is among this loot.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)