b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stone slab replacing the Ark of the Covenant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stone slab replacing the Ark of the Covenant
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:12:23 -0600

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 09:03, Read, James C wrote:
> Good reasoning. But one thing I note is that whenever the Ark was not
> in Isreal's possession the tanakh closely accounts this and follows its
> movements and tells us about the plagues suffered by those holding it.
>
> The fact that the book of kings makes no more mention of other kingdoms
> taking hold of the ark suggests that the ark was still in their possession
> up to the babylonian conquest.
> Jeremiah's prophecy combined with the Maccabean tradition seem to indicate
> that it was hidden by Jeremiah in accordance with Yah's will.

A lot depends on how one views the books of Maccabees, but that's an aside.
have always heard that the Babylonians most likely took it with them when
they destroyed Jerusalem and melted it down, since it was made of gold.

> The fact that Josiah would command that the ark be taken into the temple
> shows that he believed it was there. And a lack of an explanation as to why
> they didn't obey would be very strange.

Perhaps it's just assumed in the narrative that they did obey. The fact that
it's not mentioned in the description of the Passover etc. is easily
explained by noting that only the High Priest could go near it, and then only
once a year, so it probably didn't figure in the Passover celebration since
that wasn't when the priest went in before it.