b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:22:57 +0100

On 02/08/2005 17:29, Vadim Cherny wrote:

... True, Greeks generally omit he, but, as I wrote to Peter, that happens in the words that have other consonants. ...

Not only in such words. Remember King Jehu, who in Greek becomes EIOU, IHOU or IOU. No sign of a consonant there, in the Greek, if you don't recognise the consonantal value of iota when word initial and followed by a vowel.

In yhwh verb, he is the only candidate for consonantal pronunciation, and Greeks would have written it somehow, with epsilon, perhaps, but possibly even with gamma.

This is baseless speculation, as we have no examples of Greek words (with or without other consonants) in which he has been replaced by any other letter.

On the other hand, *if* YHW is a set of matres lectionis, then Io and Iao
transliterations are natural.

But it is not, because it cannot be, because this contradicts the whole concept of matres lectionis. So we have more baseless speculations. Indeed, Vadim, I could say the same of almost all of your contributions to this thread, which is beginning to be just a waste of time.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)