b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:37:32 +0100

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear.
When I asked about masoretic pointing I was talking about the pointing of the
theophoric
components. How do you account for these?

He is not the only candidate as a consonant. YHWH. All four are valid
consanants, but Peter
has a valid argument for the final He being unpronounced.

Re; High priest
I never claimed that only the high priest knew it. It was a verb which
everyone knew and if the
biblical hebrew language had survived we would be able to see it.
However, hebrew died and the muslims took over Isreal and so the
pronunciation of the verb was
lost, as was the pronunciation of every word.
The masoretes left us a way of finding the ancient pronunciations but not
conclusively in the
case of YHWH. Modern hebrew is a product of a very successful language
revival, nothing more.