b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 19:53:32 +0300

> >In the verb hypothesis, some transliteration of he would be expected, and
> >the word could resemble Ieue, albeit remotely.
> >In my hypothesis of 1-2-3ms suffixes, I could imagine Iaoe, but not Ieue,
> >unless in rapid pronunciation.
> >
> I wonder if you would accept Iaoue as sufficiently close to your "Ieue".
> After all, upsilon on its own is improbable as Greek routinely used the
> omicron-upsilon diphthong for the sound "w". And don't forget that
> Clement's form was (probably) Iaoue.

I think, Iaoue is very clearly matres lectionis YHW + ue for h.

> Theodoret's Iabe is a variant of
> Iaoue from a time or dialect when the "w" sound had changed to "v",
> which by then was the pronunciation of Greek beta.

I think of Iabe as literal, not phonetic transliteration. Letters, not
sounds transliterated. Letter-for-letter, YHWH for I(H-A)(W-B)(final H-E).

> So, Clement's and Theodoret's evidence supports "the verb hypothesis".

ihie (verb of YHWH) to ieue, and ieue to Iaoue are two very far-fetched
suppositions, making the ihie-Iaoue tranformations highly improbable, in my
opinion.

Vadim Cherny