b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dating of matres lectionis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dating of matres lectionis
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:56:45 -0400

Hi Yitzak,

Will you count the 3. m. s. pronominal suffixes as final he maters? There are many of them that are pronounced /o/: (line 6) vayyahlephoh, benoh, (7) boh, ubetoh, (8) moh, beyamoh, etc.

I admit, when we pronounce such final he's as /o/, we may be using anachronistic pronunciation rules. IOW, they may have been consonants as, I think, Joel Hoffman mentioned as a general possibility for epigraphic Hebrew ("Moabite").

Shalom,
Bryan

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

The Mesha stele also uses -h for apparently final -a, in bllh (in the
night, line 15).
I was more convinced this is a mater lectionis than all the -o examples
because
all the -o examples are proper names: qrxh, dwdh, nbh. Do we know if there
was
no consonantal heh in those names?