b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic invention, was: masorete pointing v's LLX transliterations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic invention, was: masorete pointing v's LLX transliterations
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:55:48 +0100

Dear Peter,

The Masoretes would not dream of changing anything or invent anything new. Their
aim was to reproduce the consonantal text accurately and to point and
vocalize the text exactly as they heard it read in the Synagogue. However,
in one respect they had a problem which can be illustrated with modern Greek
(I used this example at my defence). In Greek there are several letters
that are pronounced as the English "e" is pronounced, in exactly the same
way. Many errors are the result of this situation when people write down
what they hear others say, because they must all the time make choices of which letters to write.

A similar situation existed when the Masorets worked on the text. On the
basis of transcriptions made by Josephus and Origen we see that the Hebrew
vowels were consistently transcribed except patah and shewa, and to some
extent segol. The vowels patah and shewa were both pronounced as an
"a"-sound in Masoretic times, and by hearing the text recited a distinction
between the two could have been problematic. These two vowels represent the
basis for WEQATAL and WAYYIQTOL, and if the Masoretes could not distingish
between the two vowels when the text was read, they had to choose between them on the basis of
other means than hearing. Narrative texts were probably stressed differently
from hortatory ones and other texts when they were recited, and this could
help the Masoretes. They could also see particular patterns (WAW+YIQTOL used
for the past and WAW+QATAL used for the future), and on this basis they made
their choices.

The basis for the conclusions above is, 1) the fact that there is no
distinction between WAYYIQTOL, WEYIQTOL, and YIQTOL on the one hand and
QATAL and WEQATAL on the other before the Masoretes, 2) the inconsistency in
Masoretic pointing if WAYYIQTOL and WEQATAL have one uniform meaning
respectively, 3) the analysis of all verb forms which shows there is no
semantic difference between YIQTOL and WAYYIQTOL and between QATAL and
WEQATAL, 4) the similar pronunciation of patah and shewa, and 5) a study of
manuscripts with Palestinian pointing which show clear deviations from the
Tiberian pointing in the MT.

What I have described above is an invention of the first part of a new
system without the inventors realizing it or wanting it. What the Masoretes
did, was on the basis of vocalization, to organize the finite verbs in five
different groups, but there is no reason to believe that the Masoretes
viewed these groups as semantically different in a grammatical sense. They
were not grammarians, and their system was pragmatic. After the Masoretes,
and on the basis of their work, Hebrew grammar was invented on the basis of
induction, and the five pragmatic groups were now viewed as four different
semantic groups.

This is the first example of how Hebrew grammarians can be led astray when
no distinction is made between semantic and pragmatic factors, when a pragmatic system is interpreted as a semantic one.. But this subject I will not discuss with you, because in this case we live in two
linguistically different worlds and speak two different languages.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>